Author Topic: What the brush has wrought - Mikus' gallery  (Read 9039 times)

Mikus

• View Profile
What the brush has wrought - Mikus' gallery
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:26:36 am »
My first orc ever painted. I loved the warcraft - esque designe and tried to make this guy look like he's from Azeroth. His brothers or foes will soon follow.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:29:00 am by Mikus »

Mork Tribe - based 7/16; painted 7/16
Order of the Ram - based 7/11; painted 8/11
Dogs of War - based 0/2; painted 0/2
Outregard - based 0/1; painted 0/1
Egir Tribe - based 0/0; painted 0/0

Scarlowe

• View Profile
Re: What the brush has wrought - Mikus' gallery
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 09:19:32 am »
Looks good!
He does indeed remind me a lot of Orgrimmar Grunts with that color scheme.
"Big ears make for big targets."

Mikus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:55:23 pm »
I finally finished all of the Fallen in the starter box. Quite a happy duo. I would love to get better at using green for muscles to further expose their pecks and bisceps but that has to do for now. Maybe I will come up with some ideas while doing the Tribesmen, since I always go for the grunts first and leave special units as a reward, so I'll have some time to figure out how should I paint the Crimson Champion.

Scarlowe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 09:30:15 am »
Love the "Come here" pose on that bloke.
"Big ears make for big targets."

Pawel

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:26:56 pm »
Looks good. I hope that you also make bases for them. There is a lot of space for making cool looking base :).

Now I am waiting for next painted miniatures.

Mikus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 11:27:18 pm »
"Go my son" - said the orcish god
"You are choosen to be an example to your brothers and sisters. Show them what you stand for and in time, they will join you in the sun"

And thus Varkof has descended, to rid the miniature world from the menace of the stereotypical brutish neanderthal orc image.

I had a really difficult time painting the Howling horde clothes so I took a break and done Varkof the hero Norsgard deserves 

I really liked the miniature despite not being as perfect as the starter box models, and I had a huge mancrush on the concept art featured in the rulebook but never seen him painted. Hopefully he will be rereleased in metal/plastic with some small changes so everybody can have one or two at home.

Unfortunatly I have little skills with building bases and the ammount of models I am working with begs for something better than your standard issue bases so I placed an order from microarts for six 40mm ancient bases for the orcs. I planned to make the howling horde on MA's skull 30mm bases but I am reconsidering that after painting some of them. One thing for sure, if I don't find a suitable base for Vei-banshee, I will sculpt some water effects so she looks like she is on a drifting piece of wood.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:46:49 pm by Mikus »

Pawel

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 10:00:24 pm »
Wow, you are going really fast! Nice to see good old Varkof painted!

However, making bases in not very difficult. I am not master in this field, but I will try to make tutorial in next week and put it on forum. It will be good excuse to start working on Crimson Champion  :).

Mikus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 10:38:41 pm »

The Ysil Guard or how I learned to shut up and trust Pawel's taste. I will be honest here, when I first looked at the old Ysil guard in comparison to the old templar and Varkof I didn't find it up to par. It had two issues. Leg position which didn't mix well with how the upper torso was posed and a picture from the front view which robs the sculpt from all of the bulkiness and important armor parts. In fact the guy is wearing a full suit of red platemail armor under his robes. It painted really easy and I am so extremely happy about how mistaken I was about him. He is the second underdog that stole the show, first being the Mork Tribesmen, who I am going to post pictures of after I figure out how to paint their armguards and arm straps(???).

I will be eager to look at some of your tutorials concerning basing and painting. I would also love to see your take on the crimson champion before I paint him Pawel.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:00:58 am by Mikus »

Mikus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 01:43:36 am »
Jeez, these guys have been wrecking my head for a whole week till now but finally, I somewhat got them to be passable. It's one of those projects when you think that such a small thing as armguards and boot fur will only take you 15min for each mini and then you realize you were sitting with a detail brush for 4 hours and the outcome looks like crap.

It's the last time when I'm doing the skin first, and severald norsgard minis simultaniously, but with all the hate, frustration and denial out of the way let's go into the models because theye are I think one of the coolest guys in norsgard's range, at least for now.

At first, I didn't think much of them, they all had the same weaponry and outfit which well,as someone who paints Anima Tactics, seems like a demerit, which is why I wanted to complete them as fast as possible to reward myself afterwards with some delicious elites. I did however look forward to painting muscles and ho boy it was a heck of a fun to paint their skin. Best time since I touched Marchosias and that guy was ripped.

While working I realized that there was more than meets the eye with these guys. First lets start with one I named Baracka the Maneater. This guy is the tallest model from all the Norsgard's miniatures, even the orcs have to look up to meet that guy's eyes. He has no visible wounds if you exclude the self inflicted  ones with bones stiched to his back. He looks badass and eats people in the litteral sense.

Second from the trio is this fellow. I call him Gwyn. While not as large as Baracka he is pretty big and has the most wounds from all the guys. This warrior has a very unique facial features with an expression on his face that gives you the impression that he knows what he is doing and is very good at it, without showing much emotions, while Baracka is all about anger and raw power. What I mean is that Gwyn looks like the alpha of his pack; the guy who is on the top of the pack,  because he is tough and good at chopping down rivals who want to prove themselves but unlike Baracka he is takeable. If you want to prove your worth you fight Gwyn and if you have a deathwish you dance with Baracka the Maneater.

Finally we have the smallest of the group - Murko the Sly. He is as tall as the ladies in the starterbox and has one big wound on his left shoulder. Far from weak but not as impresive as Gwyn, Murko probably had his thirst for glory and blood which didn't end well. Being a member of the Mork tribe is not the safest position to be in and Murko knows that. His face looks focused but very tense at the same time and with good reason. He is in fact the weakest link and has to use his brains instead of brawn to survive the battles to come.

I really liked how much personality they managed to put into those models and make them differ from one another despite having the same equipment and clothes. In barbarian societies where roles are very established it is hard not to go with the stereotipical view of brute/heroic brute and I enjoyed the twist of monster/warrior/survivor that speaks volumes about the feel of the howling horde

Doing good there Norsgard!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:24:08 am by Mikus »

Pawel

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:26:37 am »
Gwyn is my favourite! Great job and it is really a big pleasure to read your's warriors description. I guess that in April we will have to meet on the battlefield when I will be in Warsaw.

Continue your job! I cannot wait to see female warriors ready for fight!

Mikus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 02:02:55 am »
Painting the warchief was much less tiring than her underlings mostly because I knew what I wanted to acomplish. My philosophy is that badass women need to have their own special something to be recognizable, especially when it comes to display their awesome martial prowess. Female models often lack proper muscles like visible ABS or biceps in arms or legs which in the long run puts her in a bad light if you have a bunch of 300 esque footmen lead by a skinny fashion model who is the toughest of them all.

Before I started painting, I read the fluff about female fighters in the howling horde, because there had to be  a reason why there exists not one but two type of units that are exclusively women, the Hlle Huntress and Vei-Banshee. Both of them focus not on overpowering the adversary but rely on psychological warfare and intimidation trough a particular fighting tactics or infamious mythos asociated with these fighters. This inspired me to fashion my warchief around one such myth,

This is the Blood Bride. Nobody knows her true name or clan she was born in but her bloodlust and infamy won her a few followers and favour of the Silent Council. She seeks mates of great strenght and skill in carnage but her twisted idea of love is chopping the poor fellow's head as a trophy or wedding gift some might say and desecrating it in a sick mating ritual untill she is satisfied and the hellish fire of passion burns out from her heart only to be rekindled in the near future. Some follow her out of fear, others to quench their hunger for slaughter and some fools say that out of love. Those commanders who faced her warband and lived to tell the tale portray her not as a typical warlord looking for pillage and glory in battle but as an enigma. Her movments are erratic, ranging from toughtless rampages to coldly calculated ploys suggesting that between frequent displays of savagery, the Blood Bride has strange lapses of clarity and brilliance.

She and her enourage are a disease the Scarlet Watch has been trying to cure without much success, leaving only decapitated masacred heads of those who stood in the Brides path.

I tried to make her as white as possible, skin and clothes. The furr was supposed to be white with light red highligh but she lacked colour so I made it a little more gory. The idea was to show the wedding kiss and how bloody it would be to evoke fear in hearts of her foes. the hair was suppose to be red so she could look like a gigner but after few layers it didn't match with my vision so I decided on gray with white highlights.

She will be waiting your arrival in Warsaw Pawel, to do some 'kissing'.

Also I finally received my premade bases from micro art studio and I will be basing the Howling horde first after I figure out what goes where.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:26:54 am by Mikus »

Pawel

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:02:20 pm »
Wow, another great story to read and warchief looks really bloody! Great job! I hope that your warband will be (in)famous in world of Norsgard very soon.

So, for sure we have a game to play in April!

Mikus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 01:33:34 am »
No new guys today but 8 out of 11 bases are done and the Dark Guard is almost completed.

I decided to go with the skulls for my Howling Horde as I didn't find anything better suited to their theme. The Vei banshee will not be featured on a skull base due to her branch and I willtry to sculpt something out of green stuff or borrow some basing accessories from friends.

As for the orcs I choose three different sets of bases because I didn't want to commit myself to one theme before I checked if I was able to do the bases properly. So far I am not happy with the outcome. Magic stones and Shrine ruins both turned out mediocre due to my inexperiance with different stone colours.

Three final bases are urban wood. I don't exactly know how to produce a dark wood effect but I have a lot of green glaze so it will be easy to do some parts of it as rotten wood.

Shrapnelsmile

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 02:40:48 am »
The barbarians look fantastic
~ Shrap

Mikus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 09:51:37 pm »
I've been demotivated from painting Norsgard after I failed with applying proper colour scheme to the Dark Guard but not anymore!

Here is the fabled Crimson Champion.

I really like the single shoulderpad design, especially the Wow-esque part of it.  I hated the steel toed boots of the orcs but after painting this pair it really started to grow on me especially the furr.

The biggest probles here was the codpiece. It is pretty much decided that everybody will have khorne red pants in the scarlet watch but the crimson champion has to have red metal. I tried to have a steel codipiece and shoulderpad with bronze ornaments but  the bronze is now melting with the khorne red. I also think the mouth piece would work better on a model that would expose it a bit more than this one. Overall its a solid sculpt with a lot of great pieces.

Now I only need to repaint the Cloack and skin of the Dakr Guard and all 6 orcs will be finished and based.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:34:54 am by Mikus »